This is a great and simple recipe to make with the kids in the summer.
- 3 Cups or 3 handfuls of basil leaves
- 4 cloves of garlic roasted
- 3/4 Cup of Pecorino grated
- 1/4 Cup Pine Nuts
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- Put 4 cloves of garlic in aluminum foil with a drizzle of olive oil. Roast at 350 degrees for 30 min. I find that the roasted garlic gives pesto a smoother flavor. If you don’t have time, fresh garlic is fine.
- Wash basil and shred cheese.
- Put all ingredients in food processor or vitamix and pulse/blend until smooth
- Use as pasta sauce, use as marinade for chicken, or use instead of mustard spread on sandwiches or Paninis.
Tonight’s Dinner at my house – Paninis
- whole wheat bread
- spinach leaves
- oven roasted turkey breast
- sliced provolone
- slice prosciutto
- toast and serve with side of red peppers.
Money Saving Tips:
- Grow basil in your yard. All it needs is water, sunshine, good soil.
- Above ingredients, except basil, were purchased from Costco
Time saving tip:
- Buy garlic cloves already peeled and put in freezer. They last forever. Take out of freezer and use immediately.